One of the deeper dives into RISC vs CISC I've seen

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Jun 17 01:49:28 CDT 2019

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 08:25:13AM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

> It's difficult to say exactly, because of the constraints on the
> definition.   Or does something have to be RISC only if it came after
> the definition?

I would say that one of the points he was making is that the definition
is not very clear.

It was enlightning to see that there are properties and traits other
than instruction count and addressing mode counts that make a design
RISCy or CISCy

(I haven't read the whole thing yet, it requires some digestion: )

/P