IBM PC-RT 6150 looking for help

Jeffrey S. Worley technoid6502 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 22:19:34 CDT 2019

On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 12:00 -0500, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:

> The hard disk seems to be stuck or the drives electronics are broken,
> it
> does not spin up. As these drives are quite rare, I'm looking for the
> SCSI card (Model 6lX700l). Is it right, the PC-RT can boot off SCSI?

Hi.  I have a suggestion.  The generation of hard disks you are having
trouble with frequently had a linear actuator and were auto-parking.
If the parking function failed at power off, not an uncommon fault, the
drive will fail to spin on power-on.  An example of this sort of drive
is the Seagate ST4096.

The time-honored fix for this is to take the drive loose from all
connections and, holding it in both hands with the face towards you,
bring the face of the drive into your thigh as you raise your thigh to
meet the face of the drive.  The violence of this motion will serve to
park the heads and the drive will spin right up when powered.  I hope
this solves your problem.

Best of luck.

Jeff