cctalk Digest, Vol 57, Issue 12

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Thu Jun 13 00:01:06 CDT 2019

On Jun 12, 2019, at 10:47 AM, shadoooo via cctech wrote:

> maybe there's a short between RXD and TXD, or possibly the GND is
> unconnected...
> This could cause an echo on the cable, and while the console is echoing
> too, this give an infinite repetition, only ended by the limited console
> buffer size...

I think you got closest. There is apparently something problematic about the way modem control is wired through my cables. While I was arsing around, grasping at other sorts of proverbial straws, I ended up with the same cable plugged in with the ends the opposite way around and it started working fine. Swap ends again, the fault returns. I figured since the VAX end doesn't use modem or flow control, it wouldn't matter how they were or weren't wired. Wrong!

ok
bear.

--
until further notice