One of the deeper dives into RISC vs CISC I've seen

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jun 12 12:14:56 CDT 2019

> On Jun 12, 2019, at 11:59 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Goes a bit over my head but may be of interest:
>
> https://userpages.umbc.edu/~vijay/mashey.on.risc.html

Nice.  Still reading through it.

I like his definition of RISC.  It captures the key points.  Interesting that a substantial fraction of those criteria apply to the CDC 6000 architecture, which some of us like to call out as the first RISC architecture.  Sure, it has only 3 x 8 registers, but when registers are built up out of discrete transistors that's understandable.  The performance considerations that drive the RISC design approaches carry over quite nicely.

	paul