Modems and external dialers.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 05:30:29 CDT 2019

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 19:30, Grant Taylor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Most of the Palm users I knew, myself included, used their Palm largely
> stand alone.  Almost all of us backed up (synced) our device to our
> computers as a backup in case of device corruption.  Some of us did use
> Palm Desktop as a convenient interface (PIM) to what was on our palms.
> But the Palm was largely stand alone.
>
> I did know a few people that synced with Outlook (and other things).
>
> The person that introduced me to Palms and I did play with network based
> syncing and had it working reliably at work.

Remarkable. Well, perhaps I had it all wrong all this time!

> I found myself, along with a few other Palm users, using Graffiti on
> paper, because it was faster than traditional letters.

:-o

Shorthand, yes. But Graffiti...

I have to ask. How is your cursive/longhand?

When I sent Palm owners contact info, some protested that my contacts
were _too full_ with _too much info_ -- home and work address,
multiple phone numbers, home and work emails, birthdays,
partners/kids' names, etc.

Their devices handled it but the owners couldn't. Palm owners entered
the bare minimum of contact info, because data entry was so painful.

This was one of the virtues of having a good keyboard, of course.

I knew one chap who tried to write a novel on his Palm device, but for
most, it was kept as short as possible. I wrote many tens of thousands
of words on my Psions -- they were a primary working device.

I took my new Gemini PDA to the FOSDEM FOSS conference in Brussels
back in February. Tried using it instead of a notebook PC for
note-taking. It was _far_ better. A tenth of the size or weight, but
as fast to type on, perfectly comfortable and convenient. And enough
battery life for a weekend of use without a charge. The Psion keyboard
at least lives on and is still relevant today.