HP98035 Real Time clock and AC5954N clock chip

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:44:04 CDT 2019

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find replacements. You can easily see how they get zapped: they are 2.5V chips, the NiCd battery *is* the voltage regulator. Charging circuit is a simple diode connected to 5V via a resistor. Battery dies, goes high impedance, somebody plugs it in to try it out and poof! Clock chip gets zapped by 5V.
Marc