MicroPDP-11/23+ cabinet kit cables

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jul 26 10:23:31 CDT 2019

    > From: Douglas Taylor

    > I'm putting together a MicroPDP-11/23 in a BA23 box. Have the M8189 CPU
    > quad width board and the bulkhead cabinet kit .. how the cabling goes
    > from the M8189 CPU board to the bulkhead cabinet kit?

I _think_ this might be the cable you need:

  https://www.ebay.com/itm/CK-KDF11-CABLE-ONLY-P-N-70-20451-1C/151622708242

but I'm not familiar with the cab kit, so I'm not sure.

    > The 10 pin connectors on the CPU board don't seem to be keyed ...
    > Is there something that gives the orientation away?

These 10 pin EIA connectors (same in the DLV11-J, KDJ11-B, etc) are keyed,
with a missing pin. DEC cables for these connectors have a plug in the
matching hole.

    > From: Glen Slick

    > In the photos that I have found of the M8189 console panel there is a
    > '1' just above the top right of the 20-pin connector indicating Pin 1.
    > A trace can be seen leading from that pin to the baud rate circuitry.
    > So that pin would go to Pin 1 of one of the 10-pin connectors on the M8189.

Y'all love to re-invent the wheel, I see:

  http://gunkies.org/wiki/DEC_asynchronous_serial_line_pinout#10_pin_header

I should check to see if the KDJ11-B has the same external baud rate
selection support, and if so, update the page to add it.

Oh, that's the other way to tell the orientation, with non-flat-cable cables;
with the loopback jumper on pins 7&9.

	Noel