MicroPDP-11/23+ cabinet kit cables

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:11:03 CDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:09 AM Douglas Taylor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I'm putting together a MicroPDP-11/23 in a BA23 box.  Have the M8189 CPU
> quad width board and the bulkhead cabinet kit, with two DB25 connectors
> and switches to set the baud rate.  On bitsavers the 'MicroPDP11 system
> technical manual' shows how to set jumpers on the M8189 to allow this
> cabkit set the baud rate, but only briefly mentions the cables needed.
>
> Does anyone here have a anatomically correct MicroPDP-11/23+ in a BA23
> box and can tell me how the cabling goes from the M8189 CPU board to the
> bulkhead cabinet kit?

I might have a console panel for an M8189 KDF11-B 11/23+. If I do, I
couldn't find it the first couple of places I looked. Or maybe I have
a console panel for an M7554 KDJ11-D 11/53, I forget which one, or
both, or neither that I have.

Anyway, back to the cable for the console panel for an M8189 KDF11-B
11/23+, isn't that just a 20 conductor ribbon cable that attaches to
the 20-pin connector on console panel, then on the M8189 end it splits
in the middle into two 10 conductor halves for the two 10-pin
connectors on the M8189?

To use the baud rate switches on the console panel the M8189 needs to
be jumpered for external baud rate generation. The console panel
contains a baud rate generator which feeds the baud clock into pin 1
of each of the two 10-pin connectors.