Scanning question (Is destruction of old tech docs a moral crime?)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jul 21 11:41:22 CDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 4:16 AM Joseph S. Barrera III via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest that in 2019 when bits are cheap and high-quality scanners
> nearly as cheap, "crappy quality digital image" is a bit of a straw man.
> Yes, I've seen plenty of barely-readable or practically unreadable scans,
> but they were made years or decades ago.
>
> What dpi qualifies as not "crappy"? 300dpi? 400? 600?

I just scanned my Rainbow 100 User's Manual at 300, 600 and 1200dpi using
the scansnap default settings. You see a jump between 300 and 600, but
little difference going on up to 1200 for this material. I posted the
300dpi results and even they are acceptable. Some of the diagrams look
heavier than the 600dpi version and at high zoom you see pixelated letters,
where the 600 doesn't. The 1200 is hard to see any big difference and takes
4x as long to scan. I think I'll be scanning the remaining rainbow docs at
600dpi. The file is 22MB vs 12MB, so that's worth it. The 1200dpi version
was almost 70MB which is starting to get a bit large for a 60 sheet
document. The sweet spot seems to be 600dpu, at least for this material.

Warner

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:00 PM Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org