gunkies.org is down or?...

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Jul 4 11:30:36 CDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 07:49:16AM -0400, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>     > Tomasz Rola
>
>     > However, I have added this line to my /etc/hosts:
>
> L-rd, I must be getting old - it never dawned on me to do that. Anyway,
> that shows the server was fine, it was just the missing DNS entry.

I would say, those who learn are young :-).

The trick is just a temporary fix, but one can live without DNS for a
while, as far as I can tell (this kind of web usage would be truly
classic in spirit). In older times just using the IP address would
have sufficed, but nowadays we have multihost servers and one IP
often answers to many names. Thus, a user software has to do proper
incantations to the server, while a server does not really care where
the user got an IP from, so it all works.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola