Jesse and the ebay mess

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Thu Jan 24 17:00:46 CST 2019

On Jan 24, 2019, at 2:26 PM, Electronics Plus via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I just got off the phone with Jesse at  Cypress. He said he did not post the
> gold and tantalum items on ebay. It is someone else, trying to cast a bad
> name on him.

It was in the eBay Store linked from his web site. I didn’t search “Cypress gold,” I clicked the logo that took me to his eBay Store.

> Please understand that he is a business (for the past 30 years), and he does
> have to cover costs of storage, technicians, etc. No, he won't sell stuff
> for $5. It costs him more than that to pay someone to find the stuff and
> pack it. Please bear his needs in mind too.

Just because he wants to run a profitable business selling old equipment does not actually mean people will want to pay the prices he wants to charge.

For example, if he has pallets of things like old terminals unsold, he’s probably pricing them too high. If he has lots and lots of old workstations sitting in a warehouse, unsold, he’s probably pricing them too high. It doesn’t matter to the market how much work he may have put in; what matters is that he’s selling systems for $400 that can be acquired for $200 without much difficulty, so if he wants to move his systems he needs to price them about the same. That’s supply and demand.

  -- Chris