PDP-11 Memory

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:59:57 CST 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Pete Turnbull via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> > Mine are all BA23.  Wasn't the BA123 for the MicroVAX?
>
> No, it was introduced for the microPDP-11 series, and only later used
> for MicroVAX and MicroVAX-II.  There are many microPDP-11/83 machines in
> BA123 cabinets, it was a very popular option because of the space for
> storage devices and the extra backplane slots.

Hmm... I did not know they put the 11/83 in a BA123.  It makes sense
since, as you say, there's room for storage devices and plenty of
slots.

The first BA123 system I ever saw was a KA630/uVAX-II in 1986.  We put
Ultrix T-2.0 on it and ran it for several years.

-ethan