Bogus "account hacked" message

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Jan 8 23:15:41 CST 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:
> The phone rings, I pick up, there's a variable duration interval of silence, then a pooiip! popping
> sound (their system connecting this call to one of their operators, now that I answered), then a
> usually very Indian sounding voice (M or F) says something like "Hello, this is Microsoft security service"
> or "Hello this is product testing group."
> I never bother to go along with it to see what their intent is. Just hang up usually.

"Windows Technical Department"
"Windows Company"  !!?!

I had one jerk, with a very heavy accent claim to be Paul Allen!
I said, "Is this about the money that you owe me?" and he hung up.
(No, Paul Allen doesn't owe me any money)

Oddly, they usually hang up if I say,
"What kind of computer do you think that I have?"  or
"Do you think that I have a computer??"