Bogus "account hacked" message

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jan 8 14:03:24 CST 2019

About two hours ago, I received an email to the address I only use for
cctech/cctalk.

It claimed my email account had been hacked and threatened all sorts of
dire consequences if I didn't deposit $1000 in bitcoins in some place within
48 hours.

I am 100% certain that the claims in the message are completely bogus and
none of the threats will be carried out.

It is likely that email addresses belonging to other list members are also
to be found wherever my email address was scraped from so I just wanted to
warn other list members about this scam in case they receive similar emails.

(I received the scam email directly, not via the cctech listserver).

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.