OT: Phone museum seeks new owner

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:33:13 CST 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:16, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Based on what I've read, the only possible way the GDPR could apply to a
> US company (with no EU physical presence) is if you're selling or
> marketing directly to EU citizens.

This could be but it's quite a widespread problem.

E.g.

If I go to:

https://www.nydailynews.com/

or

I get:

https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/nydailynews.com/

«
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at
options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU
market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that
will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
»

See:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/25/tronc_chicago_tribune_la_times_gdpr_lock_out_eu_users/

TBH mostly I neither know nor care. Occasionally I click a link and
get a blanket "sorry, no" message.

Also applies to lots of Youtube videos: I just get a "video
unavailable" message.