Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 7 01:18:10 CST 2019

On 2/6/19 10:42 PM, Brent Hilpert via cctalk wrote:

> Well, maybe they changed the hinge design slightly for the model you're looking at.
> Here are some pics of the 7970A with the transport open at 90 deg:
> 	http://madrona.ca/tmp/HP7970A/hingeTop.jpg
> 	http://madrona.ca/tmp/HP7970A/hingeInt.jpg
> 	http://madrona.ca/tmp/HP7970A/hingeExt.jpg
>
> That's about 1-1/4" between the flange and the cast frame.
> There's no way you're angling a regular shafted screwdriver in there to adequately tighten screws.
> One could undo the catch that limits the angle of swing, but I still don't expect it's going to swing far
> enough to get the frame out of the way, let alone the PCBs and motors still in the way.
>
> (The black part next to the Al flange is the 'proper' steel mounting bracket.)
>
> Flat-head hex bolts with a shortened allen-key could do it, as long as the tensional strength of the screw-heads was adequate.

Looking at it, it may be easier to do with a regular screwdriver if the
drive is opened at 45 degrees rather than 90.

Ratchet right-angle screwdrivers are also an option, as are ball-end
allen wrenches or offset-head screwdrivers.  None are particularly dear.

In any case, as I've said, I'm not about to hoist my 7970 into a rack.
I lost enough skin just getting it out of the truck into the shop.

I may, however, go prowling for a lowboy EIA rack...

--Chuck