PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:48:07 CST 2019

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:03 AM Fritz Mueller via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> FWIW, I maintain a Windows VM (on a MacOS X host) for the sole purpose of
> running PDP11GUI, and I use an USA19H USB serial dongle connected through
> to the VM as a serial interface.  I don't know if something about this
> setup is particularly detrimental to PDP11GUI transfer performance?  It
> takes me >3hrs to write a 2.5mb pack this way (at 9600 baud), or a little
> over 1hr to read one back.  Do others see similar throughput with these
> tools?

Yes.  PDP11GUI is a great tool but it is extremely slow for dumping disks.
It's not your setup.  I restored an RL02 pack this way once (at 9600bps)
and it took a very long time (I didn't time it but it was well over 6
hours).  Compare this with restoring an RK05 pack on my PDP-8 using
dumprest, which takes just about an hour...

- Josh