Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue Feb 5 07:43:32 CST 2019

Brent wrote...
---------------------------
The right side of the drive (should) have little pieces of 1/8" thick
aluminum glued at the back of the rack-mount holes to match the thickness of
the left-side bracket, to make the drive seat parallel to the face of the
rack.
In my (limited) experience those can have a tendency to fall off and may be
lost when the drive is unmounted due to dried glue.
The brackets I just posted about... I didn't just have the brackets made. I
had the complete mounting kit (including the little shims that brent
mentions above, and including all necessary nuts and bolts, and even the HP
mounting instructions that came with it) replicated. The bolts are actually
kind of critical for the right fit, due to the bevel of the bolt holes in
the bracket, as well as the depth of the bolts going in to the particular
confines of the mounting holes built into the rack. Long story short, it is
a complete mounting kit. If you search the archives for the mounting kit
part number you'll probably find the previous thread on this.