One of Bay Area's last Fry's Electronics stores closes

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Tue Dec 31 15:32:42 CST 2019

Re-sending for legibility...

>Fry's says that they
> are doing fine.BUT, that they are moving to a "consignment" model -
> they now plan to pay their suppliers only AFTER the merchandise
> sells.Or at least that is what they are telling their creditors.They
> could revitalize the stores, if they would add Jolt Cola, Canfield's
> Diet Chocolate Fudge soda, potato chips, cookies, toothpaste, rosin-
> core lead solder, and electronic components.  Maybe even collaborate
> with Fat-Brain to open a computer literacy bookstore.--

No. They are closing: http://www.tonetoatl.com/2019/12/Frys-Electronics-Closed-Duluth-Gwinnett-Place.html

I really can't see any manufacturers lining up behind the Fry's BS. They just don't have the foot traffic for it. Now as Fred says if they went back to filling a niche that is very empty (i.e. an electronics part retailer with stock of hard to get goods on hand) that may work. I hate having to order 50 capacitors from China every time I need one....