One of Bay Area's last Fry's Electronics stores closes

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Tue Dec 31 12:34:27 CST 2019

Palo Alto Fry’s closing <https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-locations-Frys-Electronics-closed-14939907.php> .  Sad, but not the end of an era – apparently the loss of lease

I remember visiting an early Fry’s (first?) in Sunnyvale (541 Lakeside Dr?, near Oakmead and around the corner from Shugart Associates where I then worked).  I marveled at the selection of steaks, diet cokes, resistors, capacitors, ICs, etc.  They had partially converted a supermarket into an electronics store but I heard they at first kept the food to keep some cash flow.  I think I bought steaks J  The engineers and technicians at Shugart more than once ran over there to get breadboard parts.