Two dead LK201 keyboards

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Dec 27 19:46:26 CST 2019

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:10 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>>> Supplies of good non-USB PC keyboards are probably beginning to get harder
>>> to find now too...
>>
>> True.  It could use either kind of keyboard.  Also, USB to mini-DIN adapters are still sold ($5 in the current L-Com catalog).  That seems like a cheaper solution than a USB Host shield.
>>

> If you mean one of these, they are just passive adapters that only
> work if the USB keyboard (or mouse) is capable of supporting both USB
> and PS/2 interfaces.
>
> http://www.l-com.com/usb-usb-adapter-type-a-female-mini-din-6-male
>
> I imagine the majority of cheap disposable keyboards manufactured now
> are USB only devices, not combination USB - PS/2 compatible devices

I can get one and test it with an Apple keyboard, but that doesn't sound right.  There aren't enough wires on a USB connector to allow you to speak the PS/2 protocol.  And there are PS/2 to USB adapters (for old keyboards) that are the same size; clearly the old keyboards don't speak USB.  So I have to assume both of those devices have a bit of logic inside.  A simple USB chip easily fits, consider the FTDI USB UART devices that are just tiny chips encapsulated in the USB connector.

	paul