Bad heads on RL02: Worth replacing

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Wed Dec 18 08:37:33 CST 2019

> I don't believe there should be any contact to make any "wear" affect
> the head.  It may have been damaged if you're talking one of the heads
> you cleaned up.  But heads should never really contact the drive on
> these types of heads.

Thanks Jim: The problem was happening before I removed the head, and the
symptoms (ring of white dust on the disk) has been going on for awhile
so I don't think it was the cleaning that threw it out of alignment.

I took a set of watch calipers to the head this morning to see if I
could measure the head width front to back (where front is the part of
the head closest to the spindle and back is the part of the head
furthest). Without removing the head from the head arm it's tricky to
measure, but it's pretty clear that the ceramic on the rear of the head
is thicker than the ceramic on the front of the head.

Which would make sense if it was dragging, as the ceramic would be worn
down by the pressure of the arm spring pushing down more on the front
than back. Once the head is angled it probably will not fly.

The next question and the really fun one is if the magnetic bar and
loops that are embedded in the ceramic are above the level of the
ceramic head. Ceramic on disk would leave wear, but I'll bet that steel
of the magnet would carve a nice trench.

I'll try to take a picture this evening but in the meantime unless
someone says that a wedge shaped head is "normal" I'm flagging this one
as bad.

Thank you for the write-up below. Amazing stuff...