Tap, tap, tap, is this working???

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Dec 17 16:22:11 CST 2019

Allison wrote:

> I wonder of all the subscriber how many have posted something or anything
> in
> the last 6 month, year, ever?  I suspect the never cases.

I've made about thirty postings to this list so far this year from this
mailbox.  If your theory is correct, I should be getting a whole bunch of
spam now.  I've received two spams (I found one that I missed earlier) and
had one other spam filtered going to this mailbox since April 2019.  Do you
believe a non-posting subscriber could be targetting your email address with
spam and not mine?

> Short term solution is use Gmail then run for a while and then kill it or
> leave it to
> as a bit bucket and replace with new Gmail.

Google sends legitimate mails (I don't send any other kind) from another email
addresses of mine directly to the junk folders of (as far as I can tell, all)
gmail recipients.  These are people who have emailed me from their gmail
addresses that I am replying to, people I have had correspondance with
previously and people who have specified to Google that they want emails from
me.  I have asked such people to let me know why Google regards emails from
the email address in question as spam so that I can address the problem in
the event that it is at my end.  Nobody so far has been able to extract this
information from Google.  I tell them that I don't understand why anyone uses
an email service that systematically blocks them from receiving emails from
particular email addresses and refuses to explain to them why they do it.
I also keep telling them that gmail is worth every penny they pay for it
but they just don't get it.

At one time Google used to publish recommendations to avoid having emails
inadvertently stopped by their antispam systems.  At that time, I made sure
that my mail server complied with all their recommendations.  I've since
tried to contact Google to ask them about this but I've had no success.  Why
should they talk to me if I'm not their customer?  Especially when they won't
even tell their actual customers why they are trapping emails for them?
Google is not the solution, it's part of the problem.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.