Speaking of RPG.... was :Re: Is IBM RPG classic?

nico de jong nico at farumdata.dk
Tue Dec 17 07:47:13 CST 2019

Hi all,

This discussion brought up some memories. Until I retired, I was in the
media conversion business (read : handling media Windows did not
support). One of my customers was the danish Custom and Tax authority,
and they had a peculiar problem. They wanted the incoming data to be
verified before the data was forwarded to the mainframe, so they did not
have to search through boxes of media when errors were found, in order
to be able to return the medium to the supplier.

The software used for the conversion, was called 'Intermedia for
Windows'. Apart from being able to do normal conversions, there was the
possibility to lead the data through a customer-defined DLL, before
being written to the ouputfile.

So what I had to do, was to develop a Windows DLL, doing whatever was
specified by the customer, including writing errorlists, table look-ups
and other niceties. And as the customer had RPG-II experience in-house,
the job was clearly defined.

This was accomplished by writing an RPG-II editor, written in Delphi. A
program would then interprete the RPG-II source, and would then compile
it into a DLL.

Surprisingly, it worked quite well

/Nico