Bad heads on RL02: Worth replacing

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Dec 16 21:57:29 CST 2019

Well, I did check the head pretty thoroughly before installing it: One
problem was there were dirt particles that were not coming off so I used
the tip of a tweezer to loosen them up. Note I do this to watch dial
faces from the 1870's (oddly enough also porcelain) so I'm pretty
careful and am not making major scratches into that ceramic head.

But I did a finger check, it's smooth.

I'm wondering if the problem is the leading edge of the head is angled
down or something: From the debris on the leading edge it's looking like
it is digging into the pack. Not sure if this can be adjusted, or even
what adjusting the head would be like.

Interesting. I'll check the pack next weekend for damage before trying
it in the good RL02 to see if it has any more errors on the disk.