Seeking information on the CSTS Timesharing service

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Dec 16 19:42:21 CST 2019

Does anyone have any information on Infonet, which was a timesharing
which CSC put out?  I've got some info that it had a timesharing service
called CSTS and would like info on that.

I've got info on the original version of the Pick system which IP was
owned by TRW and was called GIM.  The CSTS Infonet service provided
access in some way to IGIM, which is in a manual I just obtained.

So I want to know if there is any CSTS manuals or documents (ideally)
anyone may have.

Secondly it looks like rather than IBM mainframes for timeshare, the
systems that Infonet shared were Univac 1108s.  So looking for verifying
that.

Especially if the systems were all Univac was IGIM running on the 1108.

The time frame for the manual is 1974.  GIM dates from 69 to 70 from a
TRW contract.  Actual product was obviously running in one form in
1974.  There is information that it ran on PDP 11s as well in another form.

While searching for information with Google, I found some court
proceedings, including a precedent related to RICO charges on
individuals in Infonet.  If anyone finds the original indictment, or can
get to it on pacer, I'd appreciate a copy to read, or send message, I'll
supply the citation.  A better source like Pacer probably will retrieve
the original indictment.  I only find a decision which was reversed
related to the indictment.  I suspect there would be a lot of history in
the indictment around the 1980 ish timeframe of the indictment about how
CSC ran Infonet.

Short story on what you will find online a lot of spots is a precedent
set by the 4th Circuit of Appeals which resolved a technicality about
whether individuals and corporations were the same WRT charges.  The
ruling that RICO applied to individuals and not corporations was filed
by a trial court.  But the appeals court said that the actions if they
constituted RICO by individuals could be go back on the corporation they
operated in was the precedent. Obviously not a good one for corporations.

Thanks,
Jim