DECpc 425SE

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 10 16:05:27 CST 2019

On 07/12/2019 18:10, Antonio Carlini via cctalk wrote:

> I'm going to set it to one side for now and get to the same stage with
> the Acorn A3000 (which looks OK but the battery really has to come out
> now ... it will eventually fail I suppose).
>

> I might as well tackle both at the same time ...

I've unsoldered the battery lugs from the PCB and removed the battery
that way. The PCB has the +ve side marked (it's the end by R337).

Once I mechanically peeled the lugs off the battery I could see the
battery is a 3V Panasonic VL1220 rechargeable Lithium Vanadium Pentoxide
and they're still available on eBay and Farnell (and probably everywhere
else too ...).

If I'm going to replace it I'd prefer to do it in a way that leaves it
(more) easily removable, so that if I decide that the machine goes back
in a box, it can do so without a ticking time-bomb in it!

I think I want to find a suitable "IC-socket-style" connector (well,
connectors I guess) that I can solder to the PCB and then slot a battery
into. I guess it needs to be quite low profile to avoid fouling when it
all gets put back together.

An alternative might be to use a small push-fit socket for the battery,
hide that somewhere convenient in the system (I think there is room by
the HDD) and then use flying leads back to the PCB.

Any ideas (I'm not sure of what terms to feed a search engine ...)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com