PBX (or something) for modem testing

fozztexx at fozztexx.com fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Wed Dec 4 09:37:13 CST 2019

On Dec 3, 2019, at 8:35 PM, Jim Brain via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> So, any ideas (or links to eBay auctions) of brands/models/etc. I should focus on?

I recommend building an Asterisk PBX using either a junker PC or a Raspberry Pi. If you use a PC then you can get a cheap/clone TDM400P PCI card and configure it with whatever combination of FXS and FXO modules you want. I have mine setup with three FXS modules to go to phones/modems and one FXO to go to a phone line.

If you want to be able to use rotary phones I recommend adding a Grandstream HT502. I picked up 4 of them in a lot off eBay for $20 shipped last year. I built myself a micro-PBX using a Raspberry Pi and a HT502 all embedded in a small case which fits neatly under a Western Electric 500 phone. Unfortunately I still haven't gotten around to making a blog post or video with the exact details of how I built the micro-PBX, but here's the Twitter thread on it:

  https://twitter.com/FozzTexx/status/998980675620429825?s=20

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com