PBX (or something) for modem testing

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue Dec 3 22:35:40 CST 2019

To continue validating modem functionality, I think it makes sense to
set up a closed loop phone system in my lab that will function well
enough to allow modems to connect to each other (dial tone, ringing,
busy signal, etc.).

I know I can probably whip something up with a 9 v battery and a piece
of cable with rj11s, but I think that will fall short.

That said, I went out to eBay to see if I could source a 2-8 line
something to help, and got smacked around with my lack of telephone
system knowledge.

So, any ideas (or links to eBay auctions) of brands/models/etc. I should
focus on?

Also, if anyone has any modems lying around gathering dust, I probably
should source a few more models. tcpser handles Hayes "+++" spec
correctly, but I should probably support TIES as well, to cite one example.

Jim

--
Jim Brain
brain at jbrain.com