Raspberry Pi write cycles

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Aug 23 14:44:31 CDT 2019

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 12:30 PM, John Klos via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Any Pi processor newer than the original ARM1176JZ should run NetBSD pretty well. My 900 MHz Pi 2 runs NetBSD/vax almost as fast as a VAXstation 4000/30 (VLC), which is about 5 VUPS. An original Pi or Pi Zero should be able to emulate a VAX at least as fast as an 11/780.

When I was using an RPi2 for VAX emulation, I showed as having about 1.6 VUPS under OpenVMS 7.3.  I’ve since moved to a VMware cluster for my VAX emulation needs.  It can beat my fastest VAX.

I use RPi3’s for PDP-10 and DPS-8 emulation, I haven’t tried them for VAX emulation.  I would like to try a RPi4 for VAX emulation.

Zane