S/23 machine update card

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Sun Aug 18 18:38:13 CDT 2019

Folks,

I've determined that the piece of my S/23 that's causing the power
supply to blow its 12V fuse is the machine update card.  The manual says
this provides additional R/W storage for microprogram updates.  That
sounds like something that wouldn't be necessary for normal operation.

Questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that I'm not losing anything by just pulling this?

2. Anyone have a cross ref for the IBM house numbers on these chips?

3. Anyone have a spare card they'd part with?

4. As long as I'm dreaming, anyone have a set of BRADS floppies or images?

Machine update card photo:
https://sysovl.info/pages/galleries/ibm/s23guts/s23guts13.jpg

Interestingly, the underlying PCB for this seems exactly the same as the
one for the word processing feature card.

Many thanks,

De