Pertec Interface Cable Length

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at
Sun Aug 11 11:01:04 CDT 2019

Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> On 08/10/2019 01:29 PM, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: cctech <cctech-bounces at> On Behalf Of Mark J. Blair
>>> What term is used there for an engineer
>>> who works in fields of general electronics?
>> An electronics engineer...
> This war was settled in 1963 when the American Institute of Electrical 
> Engineers merged with the Institute of Radio Engineers, realizing 
> their battle was just silly and counterproductive.
> It was time, as serious electronics was moving into telecommunications 
> and computers, numerically controlled machine tools, aviation, and 
> more.  If they had a separate institute for each area of 
> specialization, it would just dilute the  resources. Every one of them 
> used Ohms law and its derivatives.
> Jon
I very much agree with the U.S. philosophy with regards to school 
organization (i.e., a department or school  with general electrical 
engineering faculty, directly hosting a degree program in electrical 
engineering, with majors in either communications, power systems, 
computer engineering, and so on.  In the last few decades some 
departments in the U.S. have transitioned to names such as
"Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering" (see e.g. and,
precisely the two universities where I studied in the U.S.).

In Latin America, with some exceptions, it is common that each very 
specific program is hosted by one very specific department,
thus there is one electronics engineering program linked to a department 
of electronics engineering and a different electrical engineering 
program with a department of electrical engineering. This is especially 
true in older, public universities.  The reason for this is petty:  
resource management (i.e., handling of tuition, human resources and so 
on) was often done at the program level, so people preferred to have 
"their own turf" in the organization and this led to this kind of 

I do belong to a "Department of Electrical, Electronics and Computer 
Engineering" and I like it this way.  We do, however, host two 
differently-named undergraduate programs, called, you guessed it, 
Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering.  Nowadays many 
students are choosing to stay one or two more semesters and obtain the 
two degrees; this is possible because of the curricular design that we 
have in place.

In the U.S., some of the first Electrical Engineering programs were 
created inside Physics departments and only later were the corresponding 
departments created.


More information about the cctalk mailing list