Modern Rack Rails in Classic Racks?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Apr 29 12:19:12 CDT 2019

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 7:18 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Zane Healy
>
>> How safe is it to put modern rack rails (HP) in a classic DEC Rack?
>
> May I ask why you're doing that? Are you trying to mount modern units
> in an old rack?
>
> If you're trying to mount old units (RK05's, BA11's, etc) in an old rack,
> I've been working on finding old slide-mounts; e.g. I know the thing
> to order for RK05's.
>
> 	Noel

I think part of the answer is that I'm going in circles. :-)  I have 4 DEC Racks, but all four are full, and since the initial post, I’ve concluded they’re off-limits.  I don’t have any RK05’s, and the RL01’s and RL02’s will stay in DEC Racks, as will the majority of the DEC HW.

The primary objective is to mount a DL380G7 and a 1GigE switch.

I also have some desktops that I’d ideally like in the rack, and maybe a MicroVAX III and PDP-11 or two (those are if I go the route of a real rack).

Earlier in this thread, I’d pretty much convinced myself to use a wooden rack that I have several of.  Then I remembered why I moved from those to Gorilla Racks.  The wooden racks are pretty unstable.

I’ve found good deals on a variety of modern racks at a local place.  I’m now strongly leaning towards this option.

My next question is, what options are there for putting a shelf in a standard rack?  My google-fu seems to be failing me.  I’ve I’m going to put any desktops in the rack, I’ll need a shelf or two, at a minimum.

Zane