What do to with an Internet-connected PDP-11?

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 06:50:22 CDT 2019

On 04/29/2019 03:20 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 4/28/2019 11:34 PM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk wrote:
>>> Maybe it would be possible to get a text only browser running?
>>
>> I think Gopher would be a better fit, personally. That's easy to write,
>> parse and display.
>>
> That might be true, but what sites still provide that service.
> A web novel app might work. 5K of REAL text, 5Meg of ads,pop ups and
> java script. :(
> Ben.

With a PDP-11/23 and full boat ram (18bit) you can run more than RT-11
and something like V6 unix or maybe
RSX might be a better choice for anything networking.  An OS that
supports swapping and maybe virtual memory
would help even at the expense of speed.  Networking does require some
level of multitasking as well so RT-11/FB
is likely more useful than vanilla RT.

Allison