Digital Standard Mumps

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Apr 18 14:06:19 CDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:41 PM Dan Veeneman via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 4/18/2019 2:27 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> > my memory is that DSM-11 is an operating system all its own, not just a
> language processor running on top of a standard OS like RSTS.
>
> In the late 1980s and early 1990s, we used DSM running on VMS 4.7 for a
> nationwide (United States) mortgage credit reporting system.

The big claim to fame for RSTS/e  was I thought that it let you load
'foreign' executives so you could run RT-11 or RSX-11 or whatever binaries
all on one system. I'd imagine DSM-11 images would be easy if it were a
real OS. I'd always thought of RSTS/e as a poor-man's hypervisor. But maybe
I'm misremembering how much it could do...

Warner