Not DEC related but still hoping for some help: Problems w/ LJ 4+ Printer

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Tue Apr 9 22:23:34 CDT 2019

> It sounds like the caps have not (yet) completely failed.
>
> I'd bet $10 on the HV supply being your problem.

And you would be $10 richer now :D

I just replaced the caps on the HV board ($5 worth of parts $7.99 for S&H :facepalm:) and it fired right up and started printing. None of the caps looked "bad". I don't have an ESR meter but when I tested the caps w/ my multimeter (outside of the circuit of course) only one seemed bad to my very rudimentary understanding. It was the big 25V 470uF cap. It never reached a resistance of infinity (which I believe a good cap will do).  Not sure if this is a true indication of a bad cap or that my MM just couldn't charge the cap sufficiently. In either case it is now replaced w/ a 25V 470uF 125C Panasonic part.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

-Ali