What platform can run m68k COFF binaries?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Sep 28 19:33:18 CDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 03:39:20PM -0400, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I have a backup of some old code that I thought came from a Sun3
> machine, and indeed, there _are_ binaries on there, in a directory
> 'sun' that _do_ run on a Sun3, verified under emulation with "tme".
>
> The part that puzzles me is the collection of object files and
> binaries in the directory above that.  'file' tells me that they are
> "m68k COFF" files.  From what I've read so far, COFF binaries are from
[...]
> I have a lot of experience with UNIX but my thinnest amount is in the
> m68k arena (mostly some dabbling on Sun3 workstations and a
> Perkin-Elmer 7350).  Thanks for any pointers or tips.
>
> -ethan

A bit late to the party, but perhaps you could get something from
strings:

  $ strings /bin/tar | less

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
,crS
>gUa
librt.so.1
__gmon_start__
_Jv_RegisterClasses
clock_gettime
libc.so.6

(... and so on, but some of this crap might be useful for your
goal...)

I guess strings is rather easy to write in C, if you do not have
it. Or maybe even could be concocted using a bunch of shell and
pipes.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola