Advice requested on proper disposal of Seagate ST3000DM001 disk drives

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:16:29 CDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Eric hasn't specified [and shouldn't have to] as to WHY,
> but here are some idle speculations:

Mostly #6, and a little bit of #5. I'd be delighted to offer "retaliation
in kind for the SS damage of drives of Steve Jackson Games", but I don't
think destroying my own drives provides that.

> 5) as a test suite for development of thermite  (Does Amazon sell pre-made
> thermite?)
>
> 6) Maybe Eric just wants to vent some anger over problems he had with them

On the other hand,

1) Reduce the likelihood that they will end up on eBay as "Seller
> Refurbished" or "New, other".
> 1b) to put on eBay as "New, other" or "seller refurbished", WITH PICTURES,
> as a commentary on eBay condition descriptions.

maybe after application of thermite I might sell them as "Seller
Refurbished".

Eric