Advice requested on proper disposal of Seagate ST3000DM001 disk drives

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 07:51:47 CDT 2018

Burning of potassium permanganate to manganese greensand will often get it
going. You are on your own for figuring out how to do that.

Thermite is not the ultimate destructive force some people seem to think it
is. If you're trying to totally liquefy the platters you'll probably need
to remove them from the drives and put them in something capable of
containing the thermite for at least a little while (e.g. graphite
crucible). The usual, "put it in a flower pot" will likely either result in
a mess or a smallish hole through the platter, which really isn't any
better than running a drill through it. The suggestion of using an
acetylene torch is far more practical, if you for some reason are really
needing to turn platters into blobs.

Thanks,
Jonathan