SAGE memory plane

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Mon Sep 17 23:10:21 CDT 2018

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/232927847019
>
> https://secretsofcoldwarradar.omeka.net/exhibits/show/cold-war-radar-technology/item/4
>
> can someone identify exactly what this box was called, when it was deployed,
> and what training manual they are referring to?

    In the T.O. (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/sage/3-32-0_Central_Computer_System_Vol1_Feb59.pdf),
that cabinet is called "core memory 1", or 256² ferrite core array". We  just
called it "Big Mem".  Here's a picture of the cabinet from McChord's
SAGE:

http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/SAGE/BigMem.jpg

    I'll have to look through my references to find out when it was deployed.
That training manual doesn't seem to be on Bitsavers.  :-)  It would be nice
to find it.

> we have a couple
> http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102633198
>
> and they keep getting mis-identified.