Portable terminals

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:00:17 CDT 2018

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 11:09, Huw Davies via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I think if I was in need of a portable vt100 terminal I’d use either my Raspad (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/35410622/raspad-raspberry-pi-tablet-for-your-creative-proje/posts) for full out Geek mode or (far more reliable) a small Chromebook as long as I can get a serial to USB adapter to work. Chromebooks have long battery life and are reasonably cheap. Also come in various sizes (my current one is a 15” as I need a large screen to see things…).

All true, but not pocket-sized. It's the pocketability which is why I
bought a Gemini. It's as pocket-friendly as a phone, but with a real
keyboard I can touch-type on. Even entering a Tweet or a text message
on a tablet is infuriating to me. I need to correct every other word,
at best, and no amount of auto-correction can punctuate correctly.

TBH I would not even _try_ a remote terminal session over a
touchscreen device -- touchscreens are *way* too infuriating to type
on, for me. They're so horrendously inaccurate I wouldn't dare to try
entering commands or anything else important.