PDP-8 screws

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Fri Oct 26 21:19:15 CDT 2018

William said
> One the original PDP-8 ("Straight 8"), the front panel has two aluminum
> strips on the sides, one on the left and one on the right. Each should have
> a pair of flathead countersunk screws, likwly Phillips head.
>
> Can someone tell me the exact specs, basically thread, length, head, and
> material of the screws?

I have no idea what the straight eight screws are, but for comparison the sort of screws in
the PDP-11/05 are things like #6-32 x 1/2 phillips pan head, #10-32 x 5/16 phillips head truss,
#8-32 x 3/8 phillips pan head nyloc, #2-56 x 1/2 phillips pan head, #4-40 x 3/8 phillips head
flat. And so on it goes.

I read somewhere DEC used a lot of stainless screws but that may not apply to all of them.
Certainly the cheese head screws that the 11/15's 10-1/2" chassis pivots on are stainless, I
checked that for curiosity's sake when I machined some special adapter washers to use with
modern server slides.

At any rate, you have that wondrous (but US only) fastener supplier's website to help you out.

Steve.