modern stuff

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:35:04 CDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018, 17:45 ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 10/24/2018 3:58 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:18 PM ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
> > <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Well I can still run DOS BOX and get my nice 8086 instruction set.
> >

> > I've heard many different adjectives used with regard to the 8086
> > instruction set, but this is the first time I've heard it described as
> > "nice".
> >
> > Admittedly there are worse ones.
> >

> What about Intel's forgotten object oriented kitchen sink processor.
> IAPX-432 better or worse?

I wouldn't call it a "kitchen sink processor"; some of it's problems are
actually with things that are missing. However, it's a VCISC, and the
instruction set isn't really comparable to anything else.

If I had to design a computer for either general-purpose or embedded use,
I'd definitely choose 8086 over iAPX 432, but that isn't because I consider
the 8086 instruction set to be particularly good.