70's computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Oct 24 13:56:34 CDT 2018

On 10/24/18 11:22 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:

> Am I really, every thing is so backwards compatable with the classic
> PC's I don't see much new other than what was hacked on.
> I am dealing with archiecture model here, the real hardware don't matter
> anyway. If it takes X cycles to read memory, it still X cycles where
> memory can be 10uS or 10pS. Ben.

Well yes and no--memory speeds haven't scaled to the same extent that
CPU speeds have.   Consider that in 1982, you could get 80 nsec 4116s,
where your CPU was typically run between 4 and 8MHz.

CPU speeds have improved about a thousandfold, so that a 4GHz CPU isn't
particularly exotic, but I don't know of many 80 psec. consumer-grade
DRAMs.(it takes light about 80 psec to travel one inch).

--Chuck