Aphorism (Was: Computers that never crash (Was: Microsoft-Paul Allen)

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:09:42 CDT 2018

I had an Ultra Sparc machine that ran continuously for more than 5 years except for maybe 2 power outages and a couple time to vacuum it out. The only failure was one day the disk drive let out a stream of smoke. It was a tantalum capacitor. It burned the board. IT was going to give me a new drive. I said, " No Way". I had a lot of data on that disk. I asked for one of their failing disk, unsoldered the matching capacitor, scraped the carbonized PC board of and soldered the replacement capacitor in. It ran until I was force to give up the machine when we moved buildings.

Dwight