70's computers

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Oct 23 16:07:24 CDT 2018

Since this is the CLASSIC **** LIST I only watch the 70's Dr Who :)

> --
> Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin at xenosoft.com

Still designing a early 1970's computer 74181 ALU/ 74170 RAM
256x4 PROMS and CORE STYLE memory. The design will be something 18
bits, just after the time the PDP-8/e came out.

Just waiting for my PDF reader to arrive so I can dig up more
information about that time on general purpose computers at that
time. You just seemed to have 3 kinds of computers back then,
a simple  16 or 12 bits, a decimal or special order product
or a large 32/36 bit machine in a educational or lab environment.

I have a lot of ideas, but I just can't find a clean simple design
yet.

I notice a people are digging up the PDP-8 as a computer. Basic
FPGA development cards are now a dime a dozen, so are there other
computers worth looking at in hind sight as re-build project
or simh emulation?

The PDP 11 is nice machine, but I am looking  for simpler designs
where 16K words is a valid memory size for a OS and small single user
software.

Ben.