Desktop Metaphor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:40:29 CDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 18:59, Paul Berger via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> This is my issue with a lot of Linux distros they seem to try to hard to
> look and work like mac or like windows while I would rather have them
> look and work like the xwindows I knew and loved.  One of my biggest
> aggravations is cut and paste I would very much rather it worked more
> like it used to on X.

If you want it old-style, build it old-style.

Install the minimal or server version of Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora,
whatever you want, then install X.org and your window manager of
choice.

This is how I have been experimentally assembling GNUstep desktops for
years now.

My favourite minimalist no "desktop" /per se/ distro is Crunchbang --
you might want to look at BunsenLabs or Crunchbang++.

Another comparable option is Tiny Core Linux, but I haven't tried it myself.