Microsoft-Paul Allen

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Mon Oct 22 21:34:32 CDT 2018

On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Tomasz Rola via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Oooh. My personal recollection about w95 is that there was a lot of
> touting before the premiere day, how advanced it was because "object
> oriented operating system”.

[...]

> I might have been one of the very few people who not only
> understood some of the buzzwords but also was duped into believing
> there should be some substance behind them (which maybe makes me
> exceptional, just not in a good way).

A lot of Windows 95 is implemented using COM, which is probably where the description of it as “object-oriented” comes from.

And while I have never been a Windows user, to denigrate it as some sort of non-achievement given the constraints under which it was developed, both in terms of target systems and backwards compatibility, is myopic at best.

  -- Chris