Altos 386/1000 boot/diags images?

Gordon Henderson gordon+cctalk at drogon.net
Sat Oct 13 13:29:32 CDT 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 10/10/18 8:56 AM, Gordon Henderson via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I will - once I've worked out how to open it. Took the plastic covers
>> off to find an enclosed steel case. Tin opener?
>
> there are pictures of the one I have open at
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/altos/386/photos

So that was very helpful, thanks. Knowing now that it's a sort of hinge
made all the difference - it was not initially obvious.

And yes, it was the Lithium RTC battery that was flat. I've temp. fitted a
different type of battery and lo and behold, it's booted just fine.

   # uname -a
   unix Altos 5.3.1 b 386/1000 (empty) (empty) (empty) 11

It's an older full-height 5.25" SCSI drive by the looks of it - not sure I
want to take it out right now to image it, but once I've re-remembered the
horrors of uucp, kermit or however else I can get stuff on/off it via
serial port... (ugh. no uucp, but it does have a C compiler, vi and make,
what more do I need ;-)

Looks like it's the base model with 8 serial ports, 4MB of RAM and a
386/DX-16 ... a bit faster than a pdp11, but ...

Now, about this Y2K thing... hardware RTC seems fine with it, but
SysVr3... Nope )-:

Cheers,

Gordon