Anyone know where uPD2167 SRAMs appeared?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:13:57 CDT 2018

Hi, All,

I asked a version of this question earlier this year.  I have not been
able to find any vintage machines that used these 16Kx1 55ns SRAMs.
Anyone recognize them?  Lots of them for sale on eBay.  Probably few
buyers.  One would want to know which systems used them, thus my
question.

They probably would have been excellent in a DEC MOS memory board but
I have no evidence they were used thusly.  Contemporary DRAMs were
cheap and 64Kx1 so that's what was in consumer gear.

Anyone?  Fast SRAM?  Anywhere?

There's little point in wiring 8 of them up into a byte vs using a
62256 except for speed.  55ns is faster than any 8MHz machine really
needs (100ns-150ns was typical for those depending on bus
architecture).  I could see these being cache RAM for a minicomputer
vs primary RAM.

-ethan